|Grilled Tuna and White Bean Salad|
Mr. B and I spent the weekend living the Mediterranean lifestyle, which loosely translated means we drank wine, lounged by the pool and cooked one Mediterranean inspired meal after another.
The roses are in full bloom, the skies, bluer than blue and yesterday’s temperature climbed into the low 90s. It was the perfect culmination of circumstances that rendered us powerless over slipping on our swimsuits shortly after breakfast and lolling about in the sunshine all day long.
Mr. B and I decided to grill up a piece of tuna that we’d had the forethought to tuck away in our freezer for just such a day and I decided to whip up a delicious white bean salad flecked with olives and tomatoes and red onions and finished with a few generous handfuls of thinly sliced basil. We enjoyed our evening meal al fresco, then sipped our wine as dusk fell, then darkness. We drank up the sweet perfume of the honeysuckle, just starting to bloom and enjoyed some excellent stargazing before calling it a night. It seemed that we had jettisoned off to some fabulous Tuscan retreat, but when we were overtaken by sleepiness, all we had to do was walk inside and tuck ourselves into our bed.
Something tells me it’s going to be an awfully nice summer. I just hope we can get some more of that delicious tuna.
White Bean Salad
1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can small white beans, drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup olive tapenade
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1 garlic glove, pressed
1 bunch finely shredded basil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice and tahini. Whisk in enough olive oil to balance flavors; add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together beans and tapenade until tapenade breaks down and is dispersed. Add tomatoes, celery, chopped parsley and chopped red onion.
3. Pour dressing over beans and stir to combine; let sit, at room-temperature, for 1 hour.
4. 15 minutes before serving, stir in basil.
5. Serve at room temperature.