|A Hearty Pasta Salad|
Not too long ago I needed to come up with a hearty snack that had staying power. The sort that you can throw into a backpack before heading off on a hiking trail or take along on a long car ride, when you know there’s not going to be anywhere worth stopping.
The truth is,there are all sorts of things that fit the criteria, but they aren’t necessarily man friendly. Translation: they’re not full of meat and cheese and fat–all key ingredients in ensuring that a woman has a pleasant hike/car ride without falling victim to hungry man syndrome. You know the situation–a man’s eyes narrow, his pupils darken and before you know it his demeanor changes and his sense of humor is non-existent.
Now, I’m not saying that I’ve ever seen this happen to Mr. B, but then again, I’m not saying I haven’t. I will say that when I say that whenever I happen to pack this recipe up for one of our jaunts, I always have a good time. Another bonus of this delectable and hearty salad is that you can change the ingredients up depending on the season and your individual tastes.
- 1 package refrigerated tortellini (proscuttio is especially good)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup chopped salami
- 1/4 cup quartered, pitted black olives, such as Kalamata
- 1/2 cup drained, rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup minced orange pepper
- 1/3 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion tops
- 3 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 1 handful, stemmed chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl.
2. Top tortellini with minced garlic, olive oil and lemon.
3. Add parsley, basil and green onions.
4. Add parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and salami; stir to combine.
5. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste.
6. Add additional olive oil if desired.
7. Serve at room temperature.